I have been MIA for quiet sometime again. December is going to be a very tight scheduled month. Having a baby has changed everything possible. My DD has turned 6 months old today. Just a few days back we started giving her some solids. As of now she likes avocado.
I was thinking of making a cake. But my hubby said, why don’t you make some payasam, so that she can also have a bit of it. So yes cake plan got cancelled and here is the simple paal payasam/kheer. Did she like it, to my surprise nope, she didn’t 🙂
Milk : 1 litre/4 cups (full cream)
Basmathi Rice : 2 tables spoons
Ghee : 2 table spoons
Saffron strands : Few
Sugar : 1/4 cup (adjust according to your taste)
- In a small pan, take a teaspoon of ghee and roast it for a minute.
- Once cool, just give it a pulse in mixie for the rice to break into half.
- In a pressure cooker, grease with ghee.
- Add milk, broken basmathi rice. You can crush the saffron strands and add along.
- Cook it for a whistle. Stop and let it cool.
- Once the pressure is relieved, open and cook in low flame.
- Once the rice gets cooked, add sugar.
- Cook in low flame for around 30 to 40 mins.
- Milk gets thicker. Once it comes to thick consistency,stop and serve.
You can always use jaggery instead of sugar.
Full cream milk gives the best taste.
You can use heavy bottomed pan instead of pressure cooker.
Add some cardamom powder to enrich taste, I didn’t want to make it strong as I am giving my LO.
Add a pinch of salt to enrich taste.