easy Indian desserts, how to make rava kesari, how to make rava kesari restaurant style, Indian Sweets, Rava Kesari, soft rava kesari, sooji recipes, sooji sheera, south Indian sweets
Rava kesari/Sooji Sheera is one of the easiest and yummiest Indian sweet which can be prepared very quick. Whenever I need to prepare some sweet as neivedhyam for pooja specially in the mornings ,this is my first choice. You can make a lot of variations in this with fruits. You can use Mango/Banana to get the extra punch 😉 For my earlier post on Mango Kesari, check here.
Rava/Semolina/Sooji : 1 cup
Water : 4 cups
Sugar : 1 cup
Ghee : 1 1/2 tablespoon
Dry fruits(cashews, raisins) : few
Kesari food color/Red food color : a pinch (optional)
Saffron strands : Few (I haven’t used)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of ghee, when hot roast cashews first. Next add raisins when it pops, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, roast rava/sooji for 2 to 3 mins, until nice aroma rises. Do not over roast, set aside.
- Now heat water in a large pan. Add the food color, saffron strands if using. Let it get heated well.
- Now mix the roasted rava and continuously stir.
- Rava will absorb all the water, make sure it gets cooked really well.
- Now add sugar and mix.
- Sugar will leave out water. Keep stirring. Add ghee as well.
- Mix and in a bowl grease some ghee, pour this rava kesari and mix the dry fruits.
It gets thicker by time. 4 cups of water gives perfect soft kesari. I usually use 1 cup rava and 2 cup water, which makes it feel very dry when stored later. 4 cups water ratio works wonder and it stays real soft after long hours.
2 cups water and 2 cups milk can also be used. Food color is totally optional.