Rava kesari/Sooji Sheera is one of the easiest and yummiest Indian sweet which can be prepared very quick. Whenever I need to prepare some sweet as neivedhyam for pooja specially in the mornings ,this is my first choice. You can make a lot of variations in this with fruits. You can use Mango/Banana to get the extra punch 😉 For my earlier post on Mango Kesari, check here.
Rava/Semolina/Sooji : 1 cup
Water : 4 cups
Sugar : 1 cup
Ghee : 1 1/2 tablespoon
Dry fruits(cashews, raisins) : few
Kesari food color/Red food color : a pinch (optional)
Saffron strands : Few (I haven’t used)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of ghee, when hot roast cashews first. Next add raisins when it pops, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, roast rava/sooji for 2 to 3 mins, until nice aroma rises. Do not over roast, set aside.
- Now heat water in a large pan. Add the food color, saffron strands if using. Let it get heated well.
- Now mix the roasted rava and continuously stir.
- Rava will absorb all the water, make sure it gets cooked really well.
- Now add sugar and mix.
- Sugar will leave out water. Keep stirring. Add ghee as well.
- Mix and in a bowl grease some ghee, pour this rava kesari and mix the dry fruits.
It gets thicker by time. 4 cups of water gives perfect soft kesari. I usually use 1 cup rava and 2 cup water, which makes it feel very dry when stored later. 4 cups water ratio works wonder and it stays real soft after long hours.
2 cups water and 2 cups milk can also be used. Food color is totally optional.