For gulab jamun I used the instant pack. I had some sugar syrup left out . Its was flavorsome as I had added some saffron, cardamom, vanilla extract. Usually everyone adds rose essence, I didn’t have it, so I used vanilla extract. I somehow didn’t want to throw that syrup. Decided to make sweet diamond cuts with it. It came out awesome. A great tea time snack. I have made it with whole wheat flour. Again traditionally it is made with all purpose flour/maida and semolina/sooji.
I have not given any measurement as I didn’t use any. You can play around with the sweetness and the amount of flour. Also I have not used oil while making dough, as the gulab jamun would leave out oil in the syrup.
Whole Wheat Flour/Aata
Oil : to deep fry
Salt : a pinch
Water : in case needed to make dough
- Combine flour, sugar syrup, salt and mix well.
- Form a dough if needed add some water and make a firm dough.
- It should not be loose and should be a thick one.
- Set aside for half an hour.
- Roll out with rolling pin and cut in to small diamond shaped pieces.
- While rolling out as we are deep frying, make it medium sized not too thick nor thin.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- When hot, slowly drop pieces in and let it fry. Have the heat in low medium.
- Once done, remove and drain excess oil in a paper towel.
- Enjoy with a hot cup of chai or coffee.
For baked and savory version, here is the link Baked Wheat Crackers.