Baked Bitter Gourd Chips, Baked Chips, Baked Healthy chips, Bitter gourd, Bitter Gourd Chips, Healthy Chips, Pagarkai Chips
I finally nailed on this recipe with baking. Usually these chips are deep fried in oil at my home. My grandpa used to get 3 kgs of bitter gourds when the rates are reduced and he used to ask us to fry it 🙂 It takes a lot of time and patience to complete so much of frying. But worth doing it for its taste. Its not bitter but has a lovely taste. My friends used to love this. One of my friend sparked me with the question, you are deep frying it, will it not remove the nutrients? That time I never knew what is baking 🙂 Many of my co bloggers have got baked chips. So I thought of preparing it myself with bitter gourd.
Searched for recipes, I got many in google. The first time, it got burnt, but the taste remained the same as how I used to deep fry it 🙂 This time when I baked it I could get it correctly. Mine is a mix of various recipes that I found. Here we go 🙂
Bitter Gourd : 2 large
Tamarind juice : 2 tablespoons
Red Chili Powder : 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder : 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala : 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 teaspoon
Salt : 1 teaspoon
Chickpea flour/ Besan : 1 1/2 tablespoon
Sesame Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Cut the bitter gourd to round pieces.
- Mix all other ingredients in a bowl add the bitter gourd, marinate it for 15 mins.
- Preheat oven to 425 F, grease a baking sheet with sesame oil.
- After 15 mins, arrange the bitter gourds in the sheet one by one. Don’t overlap.
- Bake for 15 mins. Then remove baking sheet and flip sides for even baking.
- Again bake for 15 mins. If still not done bake for 5 more mins. This time is a little crucial, it might get burnt. So be careful and remove if needed.
- Cool for 10 mins and serve 🙂
Instead of tamarind juice , lemon juice can also be used.