Coconut milk, Dal Kheer, easy vegan desserts, gluten free dessert, Milagu Kuzhambhu, Moong dal kheer, Paruppu Payasam, payasam recipe, Payatham Paruppu Payasam, Vegan desserts, vegan Indian desserts, Vegan Paruppu Payasam, Vendhaya Dosai
I am a little late in wishing everyone a very Happy Tamil New Year and Vishu. Anyways never late, here is an authentic payasam recipe for the celebration 🙂 As a tradition we make arusuvai unnavu on this special day, which mean all the six taste is incorporated in food specially. I made few and adjusted a few 🙂 here is what I made on this special day.
Inipu/Sweet — Paruppu Payasam(dal kheer)
Pulippu/Sour — Maa vathal khuzhambhu(Mango preserve kuzhambhu)
Kasappu/Bitter — Vendhaya Dosai (methi dosa)
Thuvarpu/Astringent — Madulai / Served some pomegranate
Kaarpu/Spicy — Milagu Kuzhambhu(Pepper corn gravy)
Oovarpu/Salty– Any uppu poriyal will do, so I made prangikkai uppu poriyal(yellow pumpkin stir fry)
Recipe for Maa vathal Kuzhambhu, Vendhaya dosai, milagu kuzhambhu is coming soon….
Here is a sneak peak of my platter, excluding vendhaya dosai 🙂
I made a vegan version of this recipe for the first time and turned out well.
Pasi Paruppu/Moong Dal : 1/2 cup
Water : 1 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder : a generous pinch
Coconut Milk : 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups(replace by milk if not vegan)
Jaggery : 1/2 cup (adjust according to your taste buds)
Coconut Oil : 1 tablespoon (replace by ghee, if not vegan)
Cashews : Few
Raisins : Few
- Pressure cook pasi paruppu/moong dal with water and turmeric powder for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Let it cool. When pressure subsides open the cooker and make sure dal is cooked well.
- Now add coconut milk and let it come to boiling stage.
- Heat jaggery with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. When it starts melting and heating, pour the mix through a filter over the cooking dal and coconut milk.
- Let it heat for another 3 to 4 mins.
- In a small pan heat coconut oil, when hot add cashews.
- When they turn slight golden brown, add raisins let them pop.
- Once popped add it to the payasam.
- Stop and serve either hot or cold.