Most of my blogger friends have been posting on this millets idli, dosa. I was so impressed and wanted to try it. I somehow couldn’t find millets in market. Maybe I am not looking at the right place. Or I would forget to buy it.
But when ever we visit Indian store we always find the millet flour pack readily available. When Ragi idli/Dosa can be made with ragi flour, why not millet idli with millet flour. So I gave it a try and we liked it. Here is the recipe..
Millet Flour : 1 cup
Idli Rice : 1 cup
Urad dal : 1/2 cup
Salt : 1 tablespoon
Water : as needed to grind batter
- Soak idli rice for 5 hours. Urad dal for 45 mins to 1 hr.
- In a grinder or mixer, grind urad dal to a fine batter. Then add rice and grind it. (make sure water is used as required for idli batter)
- Once it turns to be a soft batter, remove and in a medium mixing bowl, add the batter with millet flour, salt.
- If needed mix water and make sure not to have lumps. Also make sure the batter is not too thick nor runny.
- Allow it to ferment for 8 hours in a warm place.
- In a idli maker, grease idli plates with oil. Pour batter and steam for 10 to 12 mins in high.
- Remove idli’s from idli plate and serve.
Serve it with any gravy or chutney.
I served with Vengaya kose, a chettinad gravy which is prepared for breakfast. Recipe to follow soon.