It has been more than a year that I wrote something in this blog, thought I would post something for 2017. Life has been really busy and have not been able to keep up. A lot of changes have happened over this year. I have moved to instant pot from normal Indian pressure cooker and have been loving it so much that I totally forgot normal pressure cooker and started using only instant pot. My terms of eating healthy have changed too. I learnt that I have been taking more of carbs than protein. Protein is something very important for us. And carbs in moderation is needed to our body. White rice is not completely bad, in case it is paired up with proper protein. Be it white rice or brown rice, the carb level is same, except brown has more fiber, same goes with wheat flour or normal flour. One major reason is this learning I had about food, I am trying to change myself to a proper diet. So this is one post, I am writing here. I may not continue more, if time permits, I promise to do at least one post a month.
Simple biriyani, the recipe goes below.
Rice – 2 cups
Water – 4 cups
Veggies of your choice, I added
- Carrot -1
- Potato – medium sized 1
- Green Beans – 10 to 15
- Peas – handful
- Mushroom – 5(button mushrooms)
- Cauliflower — few florets as needed
- Edamame – handful
- Onion — 1 large
- Tomato – half (Roma or cluster)
Cilantro Leaves — handful
Mint Leaves – handful
Red chili powder — 1 tspn
Corriander powder — 1 tablespoon
Biriyani Masala — 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon Stick — 1 large
- Bay Leaves — Few
- Anise Star –1
- Cardamom — 2 pods
- Cloves — 3
- Black Pepper — few
- Fennel Seeds — few
Ghee – 3 tablespoons ( you can use oil instead)
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
Salt — 4 teaspoons
I have added Tofu finally by sauteing in a bit of oil with little salt. ( You can very much use paneer)
- Have instant pot in saute mode, add ghee or oil.
- Meanwhile soak rice in water.
- Once hot add items in to season.
- Next add onions and saute for 2 minutes, add ginger garlic paste.
- Next add potato saute for a minute.
- Next add carrot and green beans saute for 2 minutes.
- Add edamame, peas and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Next add cilantro leaves, mint leaves, tomato, give it a good mix.
- Add chili powder, corriander powder, biriyani masala nad give a good stir.
- Next finally add cauliflower and drained rice. Give a good mix. Stop saute mode in IP.
- Add water and salt. Close IP and put it in sealing. You can do rice mode or Manual 5 minutes. Let it NPR in manual mode. With Rice mode I would wait for 5 minutes after it is done and NPR.
Finally mix the sauteed Tofu or Paneer which gives more protein.
Enjoy biriyani with raita.