Ragi roti is a very famous Karnataka food. This is very healthy and nutritious. I love this roti. When I need to have food from my office cafeteria , the one option which I can trust and eat is this 🙂 As all other option were simply either not interesting or very oily. And most of the times food doesn’t taste good in cafeteria. Only Ragi roti was something that is always good and quite a healthy option as well 🙂
- Ragi is very rich in calcium
- High in Fiber content
- Aids weight loss
- Battles anemia and diabetes
- Gluten free
- Boosts lactation in mothers
Ingredients: (measurement below gives 4 roti)
Finger Millet Flour/Ragi Flour : 3/4 cup
Water : 2 cups
Onion: 1/4 of large thinly sliced
Green Chili : 2 thinly chopped
Cilantro leaves : 10 to 15 strands finely chopped
Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Oil : 1/2 teaspoon + to drizzle over roti
Any vegetable of you choice grated ( I didn’t add any this time)
Since this is gluten free, it doesn’t stick together well just like wheat flour. So a simple method is followed to prepare this.
- Boil water in a pan. When it starts boiling, add 1/2 teaspoon oil, salt, cumin seeds.
- When bubbles form in water, have a spatula ready and reduce heat to low.
- Pour the flour along with onions, green chili, cilantro leave, vegetable in to water. Start mixing immediately with spatula. Flour would get thick make sure to mix well and let ragi cook. It would combine to the consistency of how we prepare wheat roti/flat bread .Stop and cover the pan with lid.
- You can take a plastic cover to prepare the roti, traditionally it is done with plantain leaf. While preparing the roti, heat a griddle in parallel.
- Oil the plastic cover and take a big scoop of the ragi flour batter and form a round ball, it would be hot, you can oil you palms to avoid burning. Make sure to close the lid of pan after taking out the batter required, as the remaining might go dry.
- Now flatten the ball with hands to form a round shape ( I couldn’t get exact round shape though 😛 ) If needed use oil to make it.
- When the griddle is hot enough, place this roti and drizzle some oil over it. Leave it for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then flip sides and cook for another 2 to 3 mins. Make sure ragi gets cooked well.
Serve it with Yogurt 🙂