Carrot Kheer, Indian Sweets, Jaggery Sweets, Parangikai Kheer, Parangikai Payasam, Pumpkin Kheer, Red Pumpkin Kheer
I love carrot kheer and I often prepare it. This time I had got a huge red pumpkin and I had to finish it off 😛 So instead of carrot, tried it with pumpkin and it turned out just similar to carrot kheer and loved it 🙂 Do give it a try friends. I learnt carrot kheer from the video of Varevah chef and the same I have applied here. Varevah chef uses sugar, but I use Jaggery for most of my desserts 🙂
Red/yellow Pumpkin/ Parangikai : 6 to 7 inch piece.
Milk : 3 cups
Ghee/ Clarified butter : 2 tablespoons
Cardamom : 2 cloves
Almond and cashews : 5 each
Palm candy/Jaggery/Vellam : 1/4 cup
Ghee /Clarified Butter : 1 teaspoon
Almond, Cashews, raisins : handful
- Peel the skin of the pumpkin and chop them to pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup milk , chopped pumpkins, almond, cashews and cardamom seeds and boil it till tender soft.
- Cool down well, then grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat the remaining milk in a large pan. Mix the jaggery as well with milk and boil.
- When it boils, add the pumpkin paste.
- Let it boil. Add ghee slowly every 3 to 4 mins.
- It would start getting thicker. It would take around 15 mins to become thick. Stop and set aside.
- In another small pan, heat 1 teaspoon ghee, add almonds, cashews. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Add the raisins and saute.
- Garnish the kheer with these nuts and raisins.
Allow it cool and keep it in refrigerator. After 3 to 4 hours, this is just so yummy 😀
I used only 1/4 cup of jaggery as the pumpkin by itself was a little sweet, you can vary according to your taste.
You can use normal sugar instead of jaggery as well.