This recipe was introduced by my friend, she said you must definitely try it. I absolutely loved this recipe. When I found it the first time I felt it was a very lengthy process. But I could make it within half hour. This has the goodness of both spinach and coconut along with dal. Do give it a try. This is adapted from Palakkad Chamayal blog.
Spinach : 2 cups packed
Toor Dal : 4 tablespoons
Grated coconut : 3/4 cup
Urad dal : 1 teaspoon
Red Chili :1
Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoons
Mustard Seeds : 1 teaspoon
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Salt : 3/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida : a generous pinch
- Pressure cook toor dal for 4 to 5 whistles and leave it for the pressure to subside.
- Clean spinach and roughly chop. Boil the spinach leaves with very little water for 3 to 4 mins in high. Allow it to cool.
- Next in a blender make it a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, when hot add cumin seeds, red chili and urad dal. When urad dal turns little brownish, stop and cool down.
- Now add the above with coconut and grind to a fine paste.
- Now open the pressure cooker and mash the cooked dal well. Add the coconut paste with urad dal. Boil for few mins, add salt and mix well.
- Now add spinach and boil for just 2 mins and stop.(do not over boil)
- Heat another teaspoon of oil and add mustard seeds, asafoetida. When they splutter, stop and mix with the above.
Tasty molagootal is ready, serve with either rice or roti.