Basmati Rice : 2 cups
Tomato : 2 big chopped finely
Onion : 1/2 of a large
Ginger Garlic Paste : 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder : 1/2 teaspoon ( Replace with 3 green chili instead)
Coconut Milk : 2 cups(optional, replace by 2 cups of water)
Water : 2 cups
Salt : as needed
Cumin seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon Stick : a small one
Cloves : 2
Oil : 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Finely chop onion and tomato.
- Wash basmati rice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot add cinnamon sticks, cloves, cumin seeds, fennel seeds.
- When it crackles, add onion and saute for 2 mins.
- Let the onion turn translucent, now add chopped tomato.
- Saute till it smashes completely.
- Now add red chili powder, salt and mix.
- After a minute, add the washed and cleaned rice. Saute it for 2 mins.
- You can either cook in pan, pressure cooker or rice cooker. I have used rice cooker.
- Now transfer the contents to rice cooker, add water and coconut milk, mix.
- Once it is cooked, add some cilantro leaves and garnish.
- In case of pressure cooker cook for 3 whistles.
- In case of pan, cook till rice is soft and fluffy.
Serve with raita or plain yogurt. You can use more oil in case you feel oil is less.