Birthday Cake, Butter Cream Frosting, Cake, Mint Sugar Syrup, Mint Sugar Syrup for Cake moistening, Simple Birthday Cake recipe, Simple Sponge Cake recipe, Sponge Cake, Sponge Cake recipe
It is my hubby’s birthday today 😀 For the first time I tried a birthday cake and with All Purpose Flour (weird 😛 ) My usual cakes would be with either whole wheat flour or oats flour. But my hubby loves sponge cake specially the vanilla flavor 😀 Once in a while it is always good to have what we like rather than health aspects 😛
I was a little confused of which recipe to use, finally my dear friend Radhika came to rescue 🙂 She was in a very busy schedule when I asked her recipe for the Birthday cake. She was so very sweet to give me links of which she would follow in her tight schedule. Thank you very much dear 🙂 That worked perfect 🙂 Here is the link which I followed for the sponge cake
As I don’t have 2 baking trays, made one by one 🙂
Ingredients (for 1 cake)
Eggs : 2
Sugar : 1 cup
Vanilla Extract : 1/2 teaspoon
Skim Milk : 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter : 2 tablespoons
All Purpose Flour : 1 cup
Baking Powder : 1 teaspoon
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step!
2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
5. Pour into two greased and floured 8″ round cake pans.
6. Bake at 350 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.
I made 2 cakes and made a mint sugar syrup to moisturize the cakes
Mint Sugar Syrup:
Sugar : 5 teaspoon
Water : 5 teaspoon
Mint Leaves : few
Bring water and sugar to boil, add mint leaves , when the mint leaves essence gets blended with the sugar syrup, stop and apply on the top layer of both the cakes.
I made butter cream filling.
Butter : 5 tablespoons
Confectioners Sugar : 1 cup
Vanilla Extract : 1 teaspoon
Milk : 1 tablespoon
Beat butter to soft and then add sugar slowly. Then add vanilla extract and beat well. Milk as well slowly. Beat until fluffy.
Place it between cakes and cover the top, sides with this and refrigerate for an hour.
As I don’t have a mixer, by hands it was really difficult to make the complete frosting, so went straight and got the Betty crockers Vanilla frosting for the final touch 🙂
Here is the final outcome 🙂