breakfast recipes, Little Millet Upma, Little Millets Recipe, Millet recipe, Samai, Samai recipes, Samai upma, south Indian breakfast, South Indian Breakfast recipes, Upma recipes
This is a very long pending post from me. I have given this guest post to Usha of “Maha’s Lovely Home” long back. When I was planning to post it in my blog, I had to go to labor. After that I couldn’t get time to post. So here it is. When Usha asked me to send some recipes, I planned to give her millet recipe.
Do visit her page to find lovely recipes. A very dedicated and talented blogger for a long time now. You can check my recipe in her page too.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
Little Millet/Samai : 1 ½ cup
Onion : ¼ of a large
Green Chili : 2 (adjust according to your taste buds)
Ginger : ½ inch piece grated
Mixed Veggies : ½ cup ( I have used frozen, you can use fresh veggies)
Salt : as needed
Water : 4 1/2 cups ( 1 cup samai requires 3 cups water)
Oil : 1 ½ teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : ¼ teaspoon
Urad Dal : ¼ teaspoon
Channa Dal : 1.4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves: Few
Cilantro : to garnish
- Soak Samai/Little Millet in water for half an hour. Drain and set aside.
- Chop onions, green chilies.Heat oil in a pan, when hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal.
When they turn golden brown, add curry leaves.
- Next add onion, green chili and saute till translucent.
- Now add the frozen veggies, saute till half done. Frozen cooks faster than fresh.
Next add water and let it boil. Add salt to it.When it hot enough, add the drained samai and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook till soft and water gets dehydrated.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve with any chutney.
To check out some chutney recipes, see below