Today it is going to be a simple and a delicious recipe. This is a long pending post, prepared this payasam for Varalakshmi Pooja and I am posting it now 😛 A very commonly made recipe for all special occasions in South India.
Javvarisi/Sabudana/Tapioca Pearl : 1/3 cup
Vermiceli/Semiya : 1/2 cup
Milk : 2 cups
Cardamom : 2 pieces
Sugar : 1/2 cup
Nuts and Raisins : Few
Ghee : 1 teaspoon
Water : 1/2 cup
- Soak Javvarisi for 2 hours in water just to cover till the top. After 2 hrs drain off any excess water if present.
- I used roasted vermicelli. If you are using plain vermiceli, add a teaspoon of ghee in a pan and roast vermiceli till golden brown.
- Next Heat water in a large pan. Add Javvarisi/Sabudana and boil in medium for 5 mins, until they turn transparent.
- Now add the roasted vermiceli with sabudana and boil till soft. You can check it by piercing a piece of vermiceli.
- Next add milk and boil it. Add the cardamom pieces by removing skin. You can use powder of cardamom as well.
- It would get thicker in 10 mins, add sugar as well. Heat should be in medium.
- In another pan, heat ghee and roast the nuts and raisins. Add this to the kheer/Payasam. And stop heating.
It would get thicker after you store it. At that time we can add some extra milk and serve.