Black Pepper gravy, how to make easy milagu kuzhambhu, Indian recipes for nursing mothers, Milagu Kuzhambhu, recipes to increase breast milk, traditional recipes
This is one of the spicy kuzhambhu from south. This gravy can be had when you have sore throat, cold. It helps reducing the throat infection. Also this is one best food for nursing mothers. It helps increasing the breast milk. I made this for the Tamil New year as we need to make one spicy food on that day.
Black Pepper/ Milagu : 2 teaspoons
Coriander Seeds : 3 teaspoons
Urad dal : 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds : 1 teaspoons
Channa Dal : 1 teaspoon
Red Chili : 2
Tamarind : 1 lemon size
Mustard Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Salt : to taste
Asafoetida : generous pinch
Sesame oil/Gingelly oil : 3 tablespoons
Water : as needed
- Soak tamarind in little water. After 5 mins, put it in a microwave container and heat it for 30 sec. Remove and keep it aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan, add milagu, coriander seeds, urad dal, channa dal, cumin seeds, red chili.
- Let it crackle and turn golden brown.
- Let it cool , once cooled down add salt and grind it to a fine paste with required water.
- Now heat remaining oil in a bigger pan, when hot add mustard seeds, asafoetida. When it crackles add curry leaves.
- Now add the ground mix and mix well.
- After 5 mins, add the tamarind paste and mix.
- Heat it for 15 to 20 mins, close it with lid so it doesn’t splutter.
Serve with hot rice/idli/dosa
If you feel it is too hot/spicy, then you can add some coconut around 2 to 3 tablespoons to the items while frying at the end and grind it along. Adding some more gingelly oil as well helps reducing the hotness.