Easy rasam recipe, how to make rasam, Instant rasam, Rasam, rasam for sore throat, Rasam without rasam powder, recipe for sore throat, South Indian Style Rasam, Toor Dal Rasam
Rasam is an inevitable food in south India. When my friends say that I can’t prepare rasam as I don’t have rasam powder stock at home, I always ask them to prepare this recipe. When anyone gets cold this is the best food to be prepared. This soothes the throat so well.
Tamarind : a small lemon size
Tomato : 1
Garlic : 4 pods
Black Pepper: 3/4 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds : 3/4 tablespoon
Water : 3 cups
Toor Dal : 2 tablespoons
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Oil : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Cilantro Leaves: Few
Salt : as needed
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
- Cut tomato into 2 halves.
- Boil toor dal with required water and turmeric powder. Once cooked well, stop and set it aside.
- In blender, add cumin seeds, black pepper, garlic pods and one half of tomato. Blend it to a fine paste.
- Take tamarind juice, add the above ground paste, salt.
- Add the remaining half of tomato and smash with hands.
- Add around 1 1/2 cup water and get the liquid consistency. Check for salt.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal. When it crackles add curry leaves.
- Now add the the rasam water prepared, let it boil.
- When it starts boiling add cooked toor dal and let it get boiled for 2 mins.
- Switch off and add cilantro leaves and mix.
- Now rasam is ready. Have it with hot rice 🙂