Brussels sprout is something that I never knew what to do with. These are not quite common in my place, so I came across only when I moved to USA. Have seen lot of co bloggers inducing Indian style dishes with these. Now its my turn 🙂 and it is going to be zero oil 🙂 It is a very simple dish and tastes yummy with phulkha’s , I didn’t feel that oil was missing.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
Brussels Sprout : 5 to 6 large sized(cut in to half)
Tomato : 2 medium
Onion : 1/4 of a large
Ginger Garlic Paste : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder : a generous pinch
Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder : 1/4 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder : 1 teaspoon
Water : 2 cups
Cilantro : Few (to garnish)
- Roughly chop tomato, onion and blend it to a fine paste.
- In a pan heat this paste, add ginger garlic paste and heat for 5 mins.
- While heating my tomatoes turned little extra red 😛
- Add Brussels sprouts and heat. Cover with a lid for 5 mins.
- Next add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and let it boil to a nice gravy. It took around 15 minutes to get to the gravy consistency and the brussels sprouts to get cooked well.
- Stop and garnish with cilantro leaves 🙂
- Serve with Phulkha, it works well with rice as well (South Indian like me loves with rice 😛 )
If you would like to have the oil version, then heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and when they splutter add the tomato paste and proceed the same way above mentioned.