Kozhukattai, Oats Indian Breakfast, Oats Indian recipes, Oats Indian style recipe, Oats Kozhukattai, Pidi Kozhukattai, Pidi Kozhukattai recipe
I always prepare rice kozhukattai and wanted to make it with Oats. Many of my friends tells me that incorporating oats in everday routine is difficult for them. As most of us Indians like savory food for breakfast or snack. Here in US , Oats is usually taken in a sweet way. We adapting it, is a bit difficult….at least for South Indians I guess 😉 Do give this recipe a try. This will surely be treat for taste buds.
Oats : 1 cup ( any kind, rolled oats or instant oats)
Water : 3/4 cup
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Onion : 1/4 of a large
Green Chili : 1 small
- Dry roast Oats until nice aroma rises(It will take around 3 to 4 mins). Let it cool.
- Once cool, grind it to either fine powder or coarse powder. I made coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot add mustard seeds, urad dal. When it turns slight golden color, add curry leaves. (Chop curry leaves into pieces and put, so that it can merge well)
- When curry leaves splutter, add onion, green chili. Saute for 2 mins.
- Next add water and salt. Let it boil well.
- When it boils add the oats powder and mix. It will get cooked fast.
- Oats will come together soon. When it turns sticky enough, switch off and let it cool.
- Meanwhile grease idli plates and get idli pot also ready.
- When the oats is cooled down, grease your palm with oil.
- Make small balls and steam it for 10 mins in high.
- Serve with any spicy chutney, as oats is a little bland in taste.
This can be served as both breakfast and snack. I served it with spicy coconut chutney.
Few other Oats recipes for breakfast from my earlier post