This is one more on my list to post for a very long time 🙂 It is a very simple and healthy upma. My hubby usually buys the instant oats for morning breakfast. Sometime back he had got the old fashioned Oats box from Quaker. With that huge box, I wanted to try different recipes and this is one. Do give it a try, if you are bored with the regular Oats porridge.
Ingredients:(serves 2 people)
Old Fashioned Oats/Quick cooking Oats : 1 cup
Onion : 1/4 of a large
Ginger : a small piece grated
Mixed Vegetables : 1/2 cup ( I used frozen)
Red Chili Powder : 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder : 1/8 teaspoon
Water : 1/2 cup
Salt : 3/4 teaspoon
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Urad Dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Channa Dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
- Heat oil in a pan and when hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal.
- When they splutter, add curry leaves and onion, ginger.
- Saute till translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables and saute. Next add red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and salt. Cook till they are all soft and tender.
- Next add the oats, 1/4 cup of water and give a stir. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Now add remaining water and cook for another 2 to 3 mins. Stop and check if it is properly cooked. Else cook for some more time.
- Now oats upma is ready.
This tastes good when it is hot. Do not add more water ,else it would become very soggy.