I grew up as a vegetarian. Occasionally I take eggs, an exception in my vegetarian diet 😉 . I do add them in baking. My hubby doesn’t mind eating eggs often as it is a good source of protein. But I can only make Indian style egg gravy and don’t know many options with egg. This was one of his recipes which I learnt. He makes it much spicier than I do 😉 So a recipe from my hubby’s book 🙂
Onion : 1/2 of a large chopped
Green Chili : 2 small chopped finely
Ginger : a small piece crushed
Turmeric Powder : a generous pinch
Pepper Powder : 1 teaspoon
Oil : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Urad Dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Cilantro Leaves : Few
Salt : as needed
- Break eggs and whisk well in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot add mustard seeds, urad dal.
- When it crackles, add curry leaves. When it splutters, add chopped onions, green chili, ginger.
- Add turmeric powder and mix. Keep the heat in low medium.
- Saute well for 2 mins.
- Now add pepper powder, salt and saute for 2 more mins.
- Now add the whisked eggs.
- Mix well, make sure heat is in low medium.
- Keep cooking until eggs combines well.
- At one stage, egg gets cooked and you can touch and see the soft fluffy eggs.
- Stop and add cilantro leaves.
- Do not cook more time eggs may turn rubbery.
- Goes well with rice. I served with rasam rice 🙂
You can vary with red chili powder. Taste changes a bit different. It can served with bread for breakfast as well.