Coconut Bun, Dilkush, how to make coconut bun, how to make dilkush, Indian style coconut bun, Iyengar Bakery style Dilkush
Coconut bun is one of my childhood favorite. I used to have at least one piece everyday from bakery 😉 I somehow stopped it in between and found it back in my Bangalore days at Iyengar bakery. Widely called as Dilkush, made with coconut and tutty fruti. Aww how much I used to love them. Now that in US , I have the oven to bake it..why not give it a try. Yep it turned out super awesome… It is a bit long process, but worth every second of it 🙂 I have just added coconut , nuts and raisins. Dilkush is made with tuti fruti. I did not have them in stock, so haven’t added them. Here is the recipe…
Whole Wheat Flour : 1 cup + 2 tablespoons + extra to dust
All Purpose Flour : 1 cup
Sugar : 3 tablespoons
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Water : 1/4 cup
Milk : 1/2 cup
Butter : 1 tablespoon
Yeast : 1 1/4 teaspoon
Coconut : 3/4 cup
Cashew+almonds+ raisins : 1/2 cup ( In case tutti fruti is used reduce cashew and almonds, avoid sugar)
Cardamom Powder : a pinch
Jaggery/Sugar : 1 tablespoon( I used jaggery)
Ghee/Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Take lukewarm water, add 1 teaspoon sugar. Mix yeast and set aside for 10 mins.
- Yeast would froth in 10 mins.
- Warm up milk before kneading dough.
- Mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, sugar. Sieve it in a medium bowl.
- Now mix the yeast and milk with the sieved flour.
- Now knead the dough for 10 mins.
- In a medium bowl, oil the base and sides, keep the dough and oil the top portion.
- Cover with a wet towel and place it in a warm place. For me fridge top is the best place to get this done.
- Leave it for an hour.
- Now get the filling ready. Heat a pan with either oil or ghee. When hot add chopped cashews, almonds. When it turns slight golden color, add raisins. Let it pop.
- Now stop heat and add grated coconut and saute in the remaining heat.
- In case you are adding tutti fruti add it as well.
- Add jaggery or sugar mix well. Filling is ready.
- Place a parchment paper over the baking tray, spray with cooking oil and get it ready.
- After an hour, the dough would double in size. Now punch out the dough. Knead for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Cut the dough to 2 pieces. Take one piece and make a flat base just like pizza base.
- Base would be thick enough around a size of 8 inches.
- Now on top, place the filling. Leave 1/2 cm on the edges. Place this base in the baking tray.
- With the other portion of dough, flatten similar to the base.
- Cover it over the base with filling. Pinch the edges. Take a fork and club the edges of both base and top.
- Cover this as well and set it for 30 mins in a warm place.
- Have 1 tablespoon of milk and a bit of sugar mixed and ready.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Before baking, just brush this milk and sugar mix over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 mins. Mine took 25 mins.
- Cool it, cut and serve 🙂
You can totally use All purpose flour/maida instead of whole wheat flour.
Tutti frutti can be used with only coconut, no need of raisins and cashews.