I wanted to make this thokku last year itself but missed it. Cranberries are easily found during Thanksgiving season. When I went to Walmart before Thanksgiving this year, I got a pack of cranberries for $1.68. Last year this time I was pregnant and had urinary infection, which is very common during pregnancy. Cranberry helps a lot in reducing UTI. I used to make juice with apple. But it was too bitter and I gave up fresh cranberries lol. So I used to make dry fruits bar/energy bar with dried cranberries. This year again I got so tempted by seeing the price. Finally made this thokku. It is way better than juice, so you can try it ☺
This is not my own recipe, adapted from here. I have never found these beauties in India.
Cranberries: 2 cups
Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Red chili powder: 2 teaspoon (adjust according to your taste)
Salt : 1 teaspoon
Oil: 2 tablespoons
Tamarind juice: 2 tablespoons
- Wash cranberries and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. When hot add the cranberries. It would start popping, just be careful.
- When they bubble up and get cooked. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and give it a nice mix.
- After 2 to 3 mins, add tamarind juice and mix well.
- Let it cook and oil gets separated on the edges of the pan.
- Now stop and cool. Store in a mason jar in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
It goes well with idli, dosa, chappathi and with rice.
Optionally you can make tadka with little oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves. I didn’t want to add more oil, so didn’t do this step.