butter milk, chettinad style more kuzhambhu recipe, how to make vendakkai more kuzhambhu, Mor Kuzhambhu, more kuzhambhu recipe, More Kuzhambu, Vendakkai More Kuzhambu, Yogurt
Mor Kuzhambhu is a south Indian yogurt based gravy similar to khadi in north India. Everyone absolutely loves this dish, I am no exception to it. I learnt it from my grandma. Buttermilk made with yogurt cools down the body temperature, is used in this gravy. I usually prepare this when I have some left out okra in the fridge. Never bothered to take pictures 🙂 Then I thought I should include it in my blog too. So here it is.
This recipe is what my mom and grandma uses, which is a little different from others. This is my 175th post, I am very happy to share my family recipe here 🙂
Vendakkai/Okra/Ladies Finger : 6 to 7 (medium sized)
Onion : 1/4 of a large
Yogurt/Curd : 1/2 cup
Water : as needed
Salt : as needed
oil : 1 teaspoon
Red Chili : 1
Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Channa dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Green Chili : 2
Ginger : 1 inch piece
Grated Coconut: 2 tablespoon
Raw rice/Pachai arisi : 1 teaspoon
- Soak all the items in to grind for 15 to 20 mins.
- Meanwhile wash okra, pat it dry in a cloth and remove the water. Chop them to pieces.
- Chop onion.
- Grind all the items which are soaked to a fine paste after 15 to 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, when hot add mustard seeds, red chili. When it splutters, add curry leaves.
- Then add onions saute for 2 mins.
- Next add the chopped okra. Saute till the slimness goes off the okra. Make sure to stir in between.
- When the slimness goes off, add the ground paste above with required salt to the okra. Add one cup water.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook for 10 mins.
- Now the gravy thickens, so make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Meantime, add curd/yogurt with 1/2 cup water and blend it to a watery liquid(butter milk)
- Check if the okra’s are well cooked, if not add some water and cook.
- When the okra’s are well cooked, add the butter milk and heat for just 2 mins.
- If you heat more, then it would turn curdled. Chop few cilantro leaves and garnish.
This goes great with rice. ( As we take brown rice for everyday use, my picture has it 🙂 )
Any veggies of your choice can be used.
Curd / Yogurt should not be very sour.
You can add a pinch of turmeric as well. I like it in the whitish color 😉