Banana Flower Chutney, banana flower petal chutney, chutney recipes, Vazhai poo thugayal, Vazhaipoo chutney, vazhaipoo thokku
Been really long, absolutely no time to check my blog. Have been thinking of posting, ain’t got time to write down a post. Have some pictures taken and been there in the memory card. Little one is growing fast and I am going around her where ever she crawls. This gets the mommy tired 🙂 Anyways lets get to this recipe. This is a recipe from my dear friend PM’s mom. When she told me that is she going to make this thugayal, I got fascinated and loved the recipe. I wanted to try immediately and absolutely loved the taste. This recipe is one of the treasured recipes from her mom.
PM this is dedicated to your mom 🙂
Here it goes, remove the banana flowers and when you get to the stage you can remove anymore, just cut it in half. Use the petals which are soft. Discard those which has more fiber and can’t cut.
Banana Flower and petals of medium size
Tamarind : a small piece
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Oil : 3 to 4 table spoons
Red Chili : 2 to 3
Asafoetida/Hing: 1/8 teaspoon
Urad dal :1/4 teaspoon
Garlic : 20 pods
Mustard seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Water : as needed
Curry Leaves: Few
- Throw the banana flower and the petals in a pressure cooker, add salt, tamarind and some water and cook for 3 whistles.
- In a small pan, heat some oil, add urad dal, red chili, hing. Once it cracks, let it cool.
- Take out the pressure cooked flower, petals, add the above and grind it to a fine paste.
- Next heat the remaining oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add garlic once they start to brown, add the paste and mix well.
- Cook in low flame until it thickens.
Serve with idli/dosa.
My friend told me that , they prepare it for ladies who delivered babies. This helps cure the internal injury in new moms. As you know Banana flower is full of iron content. Though it is a little long process, it is absolutely worth it. This tastes so good. Do give it a try. You can store it for a week as we have loads of oil. Use it as thokku.