As I mentioned earlier in Vellai Paniyaram post, they are always accompanied with red chili chutney. As paniyaram is just made with rice and a bit of urad dal , it is quite bland and requires something spicy to be accompanied 🙂
Small Onion/Red Pearl onions : 20 to 25 (You can use shallots or red onions as well)
Tomato : 1/2 of a large
Garlic : 2 pods
Red Chili : 3 ( normally we add around 6, you can reduce it to 2 as well)
Oil : 1 tablespoon (normally we add more than 2 tablespoons, I have reduced it)
Mustard seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Salt : as needed
Water : as needed
- Chop red pearl onions, tomato, garlic. Add red chili with these. Grind it to a fine or coarse paste with required water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal when hot.
- When it crackles, add curry leaves.
- Now pour the ground paste.
- Add salt to it and let it get cooked.
- It might splutter, so cover it with lid.
- Cook till all the water content gets dehydrated. It takes around 30 mins to dehydrate.
Serve with paniayaram , idli or dosa.