Rasam is an inevitable food in south India. When my friends say that I can’t prepare rasam as I don’t have rasam powder stock at home, I always ask them to prepare this recipe. When anyone gets cold this is the best food to be prepared. This soothes the throat so well.
Tamarind : a small lemon size
Tomato : 1
Garlic : 4 pods
Black Pepper: 3/4 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds : 3/4 tablespoon
Water : 3 cups
Toor Dal : 2 tablespoons
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Oil : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Cilantro Leaves: Few
Salt : as needed
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water.
- Cut tomato into 2 halves.
- Boil toor dal with required water and turmeric powder. Once cooked well, stop and set it aside.
- In blender, add cumin seeds, black pepper, garlic pods and one half of tomato. Blend it to a fine paste.
- Take tamarind juice, add the above ground paste, salt.
- Add the remaining half of tomato and smash with hands.
- Add around 1 1/2 cup water and get the liquid consistency. Check for salt.
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dal. When it crackles add curry leaves.
- Now add the the rasam water prepared, let it boil.
- When it starts boiling add cooked toor dal and let it get boiled for 2 mins.
- Switch off and add cilantro leaves and mix.
- Now rasam is ready. Have it with hot rice 🙂