brinjal rice, Eggplant, eggplant rice, how to make vaangi baath powder, how to make vangi baath powder, kathirikai saatham, south Indian style rice variety, Vangi baath, Vangi Baath Powder, variety rice
Vangi baath is a specialty in Karnataka. Recently I came to know that , it is also famous in Maharashtra. This version is based on Karnataka style. You just need get the vangi baath powder ready. We do get this powder ready made available in all Indian stores. But they are quite easy to make and you can store it in airtight container for a month in refrigerator. Those who don’t like eggplant will also love this rice 🙂
You can serve it with any raita or simply yogurt. Some raita options from my blog for you
Few more variety rice options from my blog, please click link below
Rice : 2 cups
Eggplant/Brinjal/Kathirikai : 7 to 8 small
Oil : 1 1/2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Turmeric Powder : 1/ teaspoon
Salt : as per need
Water : as per need
Tamarind paste : 1 tablespoon(thick)
To make Vangi Baath Powder :
Oil: 1 1/2 teaspoon
Urad Dal : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dal : 1 tablespoon
Red Chili : 4
Curry Leaves : Few
Sesame Seeds : 1 teaspoon
Coriander Seeds : 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek Seeds/Methi seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Black Pepper : 1/4 teaspoon
Cinnamon Stick : 1 small
Cloves : 2 to 3
Grated Coconut : 1 tablespoon
For Vangi baath Powder :
- Heat oil(1 1/2 teaspoon) in a small pan, when hot add channa dal, urad dal. When they turn golden brown, place it aside in a plate. Make sure to drain the oil.
- With the remaining oil, add coriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves. When they pop, transfer to the plate.
- With the remaining oil, fry pepper, methi seeds, red chili. When they pop, add sesame seeds. Now this will also pop. Stop and add grated coconut.
- Now let all these cool. When they are cool, grind to a fine powder. We can store this powder in an airtight container for 1 month in fridge.
To make Vangi baath:
- Cook rice for 1 cup rice with 1 1/2 cup water. Let it cool.
- Slit eggplant/brinjal and cut to pieces.
- Heat oil of 1 1/2 teaspoons in a large pan.
- When hot, add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add curry leaves and eggplant/brinjal.
- Saute for 3 to 4 mins. Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Saute for another 2 mins.
- Now mix 2 teaspoons of the vangi baath powder. Also mix the tamarind paste with water. I used only around 1/2 cup of water.
- Let it cook till soft. Check for salt. Do not over cook eggplant. Else it becomes very mushy.
- When eggplant is cooked well, mix rice with it and combine well.
Vangi baath is ready. Serve with any raita or yogurt.