how to make millet idli, how to make millet idli with millet flour, Idli batter, idli recipe, Millet Flour, Millet Idli, Millet Idli with Millet flour, Millet recipe
Most of my blogger friends have been posting on this millets idli, dosa. I was so impressed and wanted to try it. I somehow couldn’t find millets in market. Maybe I am not looking at the right place. Or I would forget to buy it.
But when ever we visit Indian store we always find the millet flour pack readily available. When Ragi idli/Dosa can be made with ragi flour, why not millet idli with millet flour. So I gave it a try and we liked it. Here is the recipe..
Millet Flour : 1 cup
Idli Rice : 1 cup
Urad dal : 1/2 cup
Salt : 1 tablespoon
Water : as needed to grind batter
- Soak idli rice for 5 hours. Urad dal for 45 mins to 1 hr.
- In a grinder or mixer, grind urad dal to a fine batter. Then add rice and grind it. (make sure water is used as required for idli batter)
- Once it turns to be a soft batter, remove and in a medium mixing bowl, add the batter with millet flour, salt.
- If needed mix water and make sure not to have lumps. Also make sure the batter is not too thick nor runny.
- Allow it to ferment for 8 hours in a warm place.
- In a idli maker, grease idli plates with oil. Pour batter and steam for 10 to 12 mins in high.
- Remove idli’s from idli plate and serve.
Serve it with any gravy or chutney.
I served with Vengaya kose, a chettinad gravy which is prepared for breakfast. Recipe to follow soon.