I have never been liking peanuts until I started having this chutney. My hubby loves peanuts on the other hand. When ever we are on flight or any trips his major snack would be roasted peanuts. I somehow never developed that liking for peanuts. When I saw so many people discussing on this chutney, I felt I should give it a try some time. And I absolutely loved this chutney. Of all the chutney’s I prepare peanuts chutney has now become my favorite 🙂 A very simple chutney and goes well with any South Indian breakfast. I have adapted this recipe from vahchef.
Roasted Unsalted Peanuts : 1/2 cup
Red chili Powder : 1 1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind paste : 1 teaspoon
Water : as per need
Salt : as per need
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : Few
Asafoetida : 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Oil : 1 teaspoon
- In a pan, heat half a teaspoon of oil, when hot add the roasted peanuts. Saute well for 3 to 4 mins.
- Soak tamarind in water and make juice.
- When it turn slight golden brown, stop heat and add red chili powder, tamarind juice.
- Allow it to cool.
- Next in a blender/mixer, add the above along with salt , water and grind it to chutney consistency.
- In a small pan, heat remaining oil. When hot add mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds, asafoetida. Let it splutter.
- Finally add curry leaves and stop, add this is to the ground chutney.
- You can serve this with Idli/Dosa, Upma, pongal.