Diwali’s second sweet preparation from my kitchen 🙂 Love this puran poli /sweet flat bread. I have done with both wheat flour and plain flour. Stuffing came out really well. This brings me memory of my childhood days, when we used to travel from Chennai to Madurai via train (Vaigai express) many vendors sell this puran poli and I love them so much. When ever my mom travels, she never misses to bring me these 🙂 Both me and my sister loves this. Not a common thing done at my home, we always buy it from outside. Now I do it often 😛 These are rich in protein with the lentils.
If you are looking for a healthy option, then go with wheat flour. Plain flour turns out soft than wheat flour. I somehow like it more with wheat flour 😉
This is with Wheat flour
The following is with plain flour
Whole Wheat Flour/Plain Flour(maida) : 1 to 1 1/2cup
Channa Dal/Toor Dal : 1 cup ( I used Channa dal)
Jaggery : 3/4 cup
Salt : 1 pinch
Water : as required to knead dough
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Ghee/Clarified Butter : to drizzle over poli
- Soak Channa dal for 3 hours. Then pressure cook it for 6 whistles with just enough water to cover it.
- When the pressure subsides, check for extra water, if there is any drain it.
- If not just mash it with potato masher or blend it in mixer to get a fine powder.
- Now mix either whole wheat flour or plain flour with a pinch of salt and add oil. Use water and mix it to form a soft dough. Rest it for 15 to 20 mins.
- Take jaggery in a pan and mix very little water and heat it to form a nice paste.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, add the powdered channa dal, jaggery paste and mix well and heat. When these two mix, they would leave out water. Heat until they form to a dough consistency. It should be thick. ( no more water content is present)
- Now roll the wheat or plain flour dough with rolling pin to a round roti.
- Make it to thin edges and thick center. Now make small balls stuffing of the dal mixture.
- place int the center and pinch the edges.
- Now roll this to round shaped poli with the rolling pin. If needed add flour to dust.
- It can be either thin or thick, I made it medium sized.
- Now heat a griddle or tawa. Place the poli and drizzle some ghee over it and cook for few mins.
- Turn the other side and drizzle some over ghee the other side and cook for few more mins.
- Serve with ghee 🙂