Paruppu Satham is one of my favorite, got to know this recipe from one of my room mate and I used to prepare it often when I was working. This is a fast and a quick rice recipe with full protein packed. This is similar to dal kichidi made in North Indian cuisine, which is made with moong dal and this is made with toor dal
This need not be confused with bisibele bath or pongal. I have given the basic paruppu satham here , you can add any vegetable of your choice or even mixed vegetables can be used. This is very filling as well. It can be served with raita or yogurt. I used to eat it with out any side dish 😉
Rice : 1 cup( I used Basmathi, any type can be used)
Toor Dal/Pigeon Pea Lentil : 1/2 cup
Onion : 1/4 of a large
Tomato : 1 small
Green Chili : 1
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 teaspoon
Salt : 1/2 teaspoon
Water : 3 cups (2 cups for rice + 1 cup for dal)
Vegetable : Any of your choice(Carrot, beans, peas, etc) 1/4 cup chopped ( I have used Carrots)
Ginger Garlic Paste : 1 teaspoon
Cilantro leaves :to garnish
Oil : 1 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : few
Asafoetida : 1/2 teaspoon (If you feel it is strong can reduce to 1/4 teaspoon)
- Wash rice and dal together in water. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. When hot, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida when they crackle add curry leaves.
- Now add the onions,green chili and saute for 2 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste mix. Add tomato ad let it cook till soft.
- Then add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add vegetables and saute for 2 to 3 m ins
- Add the drained rice and dal. Saute for few mins (about 2 to 3 mins)
- Add water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Cool down and garnish with cilantro leaves.