Finally I prepared this mutligrain loaf/bread, it was on my list for a real long time. Did not get the courage to prepare it. Made it with Whole wheat flour, Oats flour, Quinoa flour and Flax meal. It was not at all hard, turned out soft and fluffy. So here we go with some interesting ingredients in this loaf.
Whole Wheat Flour : 2 cups
Oats Flour : 1/2 cup
Flax Meal : 1/2 cup
Quinoa Flour : 1/2 cup
Instant Yeast : 2 1/4 teaspoons
Honey : 1 tablespoon
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar : 2 tablespoons
Olive Oil : 1 tablespoon
Warm Water : 1/4 cup
Warm Milk : 1 cup+ extra if needed
To Make Quinoa Flour:
Dry roast quinoa in a pan , when there is a slight popping sound leave it for few mins and stop roasting. Once it cools down grind it to a fine powder. (After grinding quantity is increased, measure 1/2 cup from this)
To Make Flax meal:
Dry roast Flax seeds in a pan, when it starts popping remove from heat and grind it to a fine powder. (After grinding quantity is increased , measure 1/2 cup from this)
For Oats Flour :
Grind rolled oats to a fine powder. If you take 1 cup of oats, you will get 1 cup of flour
- Add honey, sugar , water, olive oil in water and mix well. Next add the instant yeast and mix well. Leave it for 10 to 15 mins until the yeast becomes frothy. (Use only warm water, hot water would kill yeast)
- Next mix 1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, oats flour, flax meal, quinoa flour and salt and sift well.
- After the yeast gets frothy add it to the flour and mix well.
- Next slowly add milk and mix dough. Bring it to a sticky dough consistency.
- Take a cutting board and flour it with whole wheat flour.
- Transfer the dough and start kneading vigorously by adding flour when ever required. Knead for around 20 to 25 mins. ( I know its hard but it is fun 🙂 )
- Oil a large vessel and place the dough in it. Cover it well with a cloth.
- Rest it for 2 hours in a warm place, either in counter top or top of fridge is good. Let it double in size.
- Remove and knead again to remove all the air with extra flour.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease loaf pan with oil and place this. I had split the dough to 2 halves as I don’t have a loaf pan, you can directly place this in the greased loaf pan. Cover with a towel and leave it for 10 to 15 mins.
- Bake for 35 mins. Remove and cool down.
Enjoy the loaf friends 🙂 This might not be so very soft as white bread, but it is soft. Sifting flour and kneading what makes it soft and fluffy.