Happy Ganesh Chathurthi dear friends 🙂 Here is a very traditional recipe from my place which is prepared for Lord Ganesha This is not the same as the Modak which is prepared in North India. It is a must that we prepare for Ganesh Chathurthi in my place. If anyone knows about Pillaiyarpatti in Tamil Nadu where there is a famous Ganesh temple, these modhagam’s are served there on a grand scale.
Raw Rice : 3/4 cup
Moong Dal : 1/4 cup
Grated Coconut : 1/4 cup (fresh preferred)
Jaggery/Gur : 1/2 cup powdered( Please do no use sugar for this, it does not give the exact taste)
Sesame Oil(Gingely Oil) : 5 tablespoons
Water : 1 cup
Cardamom : 3 pieces
- Soak raw rice and moong dal separately for 1 hour.
- After an hour drain of water from rice and grind it to a coarse paste. (just grind for 10 to 15 sec this would be enough)
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cup water to it.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan.
- When it is hot add the grinded rice with water, jaggery, moong dal ,cardamom pieces and mix well.
- Continuously stir and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Add remaining oil slowly for every 3 to 4 mins.
- It would combine well and form as a dough. Now add the grated coconut and mix. After 2 to 3 mins stop and let it cool.
- When it is warm, oil palms and make balls out of it.
- Steam in Idli cooker or any steamer for 10 mins.
Serve it hot 🙂