Pal Kozhukattai and Pal Paniyaram are both a Chettinad delicacy. I have never tried both of them, so pestered my grandma for recipe 😛 There are 2 ways of preparing Pal Kozhukattai. I have got the simple one 😉 This is made with coconut milk, so a total vegan recipe. I have used the store bought rice flour. I got the Bob Red Mill’s white rice flour and this is totally good.
I did show her the outcome in skype. She said the rice balls needs to be much smaller than what I had prepared. So I got a bit upset. But the balls turned out really soft and tasted perfect. And hubby gave thumbs up 🙂 So I thought let me share it.
Also when I took pictures, it didn’t come out well 😦 I still have lots and lots to improve in my photography. I want to take pictures and show it the way it comes out naturally and I am still working on it.
Rice Flour : 3/4 cup
Coconut Grated : 1 1/2 cup
Hot Water :1 cups
Warm Water : 3 cup
Jaggery/Gur : 1/2 cup to 3/4 cups (depending on your sweet cravings 🙂 ) Sugar can be used instead
Cardamom : 3 pieces
Salt : 1 pinch
- First coconut milk needs to be prepared. Add 3/4 cup of warm water and grind the coconut in a blender. Remove the first extract in a cup. This the thick coconut milk, keep it aside.
- Next add the remaining warm water and remove the coconut milk extract. This will be light.
- Now to the rice flour add salt and mix, then add 3/4 cup hot water and mix with a wooden spatula, so that it forms a nice dough. Don’t mix more water. Cool it down.
- When it is warm enough make small balls out of it. Make sure to put those balls in a closed container, otherwise it might go dry. If it sticks to your hand, grease your palms with oil and make the balls.
- Next heat the thin coconut milk. When it is heated well add the rice balls slowly. Make sure the coconut milk is hot, otherwise the rice balls would melt.
- As well don’t mix with any spatula as soon as you put the balls. Leave it for 5 mins and then stir with spatula.
- Now add Jaggery or sugar to this. Add cardamom pieces as well. If you use sugar it will be fully white.
- Let it boil for 15 mins. Check if the rice balls has got cooked by just pressing it a bit.
- Don’t boil it too much, otherwise it might go harder.
Stop and serve warm. This does not require any topping 🙂