In my regular Tamil online magazine, there was an article with the recipe of Celery chutney. I got intrigued by the recipe , an Indian version of Celery that looked too good. I made few changes to the original recipe for my taste and it turned out YUM 🙂 Finally I could finish off all the celery stalks staying in the fridge 🙂 I can have this even as a spread in bread 😛 So here it is
Celery : a big bunch chopped to small pieces
Cilantro leaves : few stalks
Red Onion: 1/4 of a large chopped
Ginger : 1/4 inch piece chopped
Garlic : 1 pods chopped
Green Chili : 1
Lemon Juice : 1 tablespoon or Tamarind : 1 small piece ( I used Tamarind)
Salt : 1 teaspoon
Oil : 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leave : few
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot add the mustard seed, urad dal, cumin seeds. When they crackle add the curry leaves.
- Now add the onions ,green chili, garlic and saute till translucent.
- Next add the chopped celery. Saute for 3 to 4 mins. Add the lemon juice or tamarind piece.
- Finally add cilantro leaves, ginger and saute for 2 mins and stop cooking. Let it cool.
- After cooling blend it to a fine paste ( to chutney consistency)
- Serve with Idli/Dosa 🙂