Javvarisi, Javvarisi upma, Sabudhana, Sabudhana Kichadi, Tapioca pearl, Tapioca Pearls Kichadi, Tapioca Pearls recipe, Tapioca Pearls Savory pudding
Tapioca pearl is called Sabudhana in India.Also called Javvarisi in Tamil. Sabudhana kichadi is a very tasty recipe. Usually prepared during vrat/pooja. It has more carbohydrates which is why to get the carbs needed this is used during vrat. I have heard mixed reviews of their health benefits. I am not a regular user of this. Last time I got this when we went shopping to Indian store. I like the chewy texture of these. Once in a while it should be fine I guess.
Tapioca Pearls/Sabudhana/ Javvarisi : 1 1/2 cup
Potato : 1
Carrot : 1/4 cup
Peas : 1/4 cup
Clarified butter : 2 teaspoon
Peanut : powdered 3 teaspoons
Cumin Seeds : 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : few
Cilantro Leaves : Few chopped to garnish
Salt : 1 teaspoon
- Wash Tapioca pearls and soak them in water. If you take 1 cup tapioca pearl, one cup of water should be used to soak. Soaking can be done from 3 hrs to overnight.
- Boil the potato and cut them into pieces. Chop carrots. Roast peanuts and grind it to powder.
- Heat ghee/clarified butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they change color, add curry leaves.
- When curry leaves splutters, add carrot , potato, peas. Saute well. Make them they don’t get mashed. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Once the vegetables gets cooked, add the tapioca pearls. Mix well.
- Add the powdered peanuts, remaining salt and mix well.
- Cover with lid and cook for 5 mins.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve hot 🙂
This is a little sweet in taste, as by itself tapioca pearls are little sweet. And we are adding carrot, peas. If you want it spicy add green chili or red chili powder.
If you are soaking for just 3 hrs ,while cooking you can sprinkle little water. If soaked over night this is not needed.
If you don’t want to use Ghee, oil can be used instead. Ghee gives a rich taste.