Bitter gourd, Bitter Gourd Curry, Bitter gourd health benefits, Bitter gourd side dish for roti, Bitter melon, Bitter Melon Curry, Pagarkai, Pagarkai masala, pagarkai poriyal, Pavakkai masala, Pavakkai poriyal
This is my second recipe with Bitter melon. These are low calorie vegetable. Its an excellent source of iron and vitamins, minerals. Its a great medicine for those with diabetes, kidney stone, psoriasis, piles(haemorrhoids). They help in increasing the longevity.
- Bitter Melon : 3 medium sized
- Onion: 1/2 of large
- Tomato :1
- Tamarind pulp : 1/2 cup
- Garlic : 8 to 10 pods
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder : 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder : 1 teaspoon
- Salt : 1 teaspoon
- Oil : 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal : 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves : Few
- Heat oil in a pan. Chop all the vegetables. When oil is hot add items in to temper.
- Next add Onions and garlic.
- When they turn translucent add the bitter melons. Saute for 5 to 6 mins
- Next add chopped tomato.
- When the tomato is cooked well add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well.
- After 3 to 4 mins, add the tamarind pulp and salt. The bitter melons must cook with the tamarind pulp.
- When it dries out add some more water and cook till soft.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
This can be served with Rice or Roti/Chapathi.
How is that when you cook it, it looks tempting-My dad loves this vege 🙂
hahaha, I do love this have to admit, though I am a chocolate lover like this bitterness as well, Thanks Charanya 🙂
I’ve never cooked with bitter melon – I find your post to be very inspiring!
Thanks Sarah, do try it!!
food passion and love said:
I have got bitter melons in my tray!Trying out this dish today! 🙂
Ahh Sure Shannu, do give it a try 🙂
Traditionally Modern Food said:
First pic sounds like its calling me to taste:) never tried bitter guard this way. Love garlic flavor will surely try and let you know dear
Ahh sure do try it Vidya 🙂
Is there another name for bitter melon? Was curious what to look for at the store.
I got it with the same name Bitter Melon Lori, We have Ralphs (Krogers) store near by. They had displayed this with Bitter Melon on it 🙂
Chitra Jagadish said:
Garlicky bitter melon wow sounds interesting……good one malar. …
Thanks Chitra 🙂