Kala Channa Gravy, kadalai curry is very healthy and easy to prepare. This goes well with rice, roti, idli, dosa, puttu.
Black Chickpeas/Kala Channa : 300gms (soaked over night)
oil – 1 teaspoon
cinnamon stick – 1 small
cloves – 2
cumin seeds – 1tbspn
onion – 1/2 of one large chopped
Tamarind juice – 1 small piece (optional)
Red Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tbspn
Channa Masala – 1/2 tbspn (can be replaced by garam masala)
Salt : 1 tbspn
shredded coconut : 3tbspns
garlic – 4 pods
fennel seeds – 1 tbspn
- Grind all the items in to grind. Keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add kala channa, cloves, cinnamon and add water to cover enough and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Stop and let it cool.
- Now add the chopped onions ,ground paste, red chili powder, coriander powder, channa masala, salt and tamarind juice.
- Now again pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles. Once done stop and let it cool.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan, when hot add cumin seeds. When it crackles, add curry leaves and stop.
- Mix this with the cooked channa.
- Easy Kala Channa gravy is ready, serve with rice or roti.